Safari 3.1 adds some important updates for web developers:
- Adds option in Safari preferences to turn on the new Develop menu which contains various web development features
- Allows access to Web Inspector
- Allows access to Network Timeline
- Allows editing CSS in the Web Inspector
- Allows custom user agent string
- Improves snippet editor
I was very happy to see that editing CSS in the web inspector is now possible – just inspect a part of your website with ctrl-click – inspect element and double click on a style in the styles bar to edit it and see the update immediately in the browser window.
Warning: you have to inspect a element and then be sure to use the styles, not the computed styles to see the changes! Unfortunately the computed styles are at the top of the window – so stay away from the computed styles, editing is not possible for these!