As i updated to Mac OS X 10.7 aka Lion i thought i should give iChat a try. Suprisingly iChat 6 has some features which come close to Adium’s user experience:
- now supports Yahoo! Messenger, even with audio and video – that’s good!
- has an open plugin interface for thirdparty protocols
- Facebook (using Jabber): works
- Jabber server from work works out of the box
- GMail / GoogleTalk works (audio / video not tested)
- AIM out of the box
- ICQ works (you have to use an AIM account and change the server to login.icq.com and disable SSL)
- Bonjour works out of the box
Protocols i used in Adium and missing in iChat out of the box:
- Twitter (workaround: twitter.im – seems to work)
- MSN (“Cocoon” plugin is in early development, but seems promising)
- IRC (iChat 6 plugin is also in early development, but promising, was able to connect to a room, but many features missing)
- Myspace (but who is still using it anyhow 😉 )
right now iChat seems to provide almost all important protocols i used to use on Adium plus the video and audio chatting.